[Numpy-discussion] Python 2.6, NumPy on CentOS 5.3

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Nov 24 21:02:53 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Robert DeLisle <rkdelisle@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>
> You need the *.so and not the *.so.3.1.1. The latter are enough to *run*
> applications linked against the library, the former is necessary to link
> against them. IOW, you need the devel packages for blas, lapack (and
> python). If you want to do it without admin rights, there is no other
> solution than building them by yourself.
>

> David,
>
> Thank you so much!  That helps a lot and I don't know why I didn't think of
> it myself.  As root I'm able to install blas-devel and lapack-devel which
> gives me new libraries in /usr/lib64.  Specifically, libblas.a, liblapack.a,
> and liblapack_pic.a.  Now when I run setup.py from the numpy directory, it
> says that it finds the libraries in the appropriate locations.
>
> A few more issues:
>
> The configuration complains that there are no mkl, vml, guide libraries.
> Also, atlas libraries are not found.  I cannot seem to find these at this
> point.

That's ok. Our build process is  too verbose, and is a bit confusing.
MKL and Atlas are just optimized BLAS/LAPACK, but they are not
necessary to build scipy. They can significantly improve scipy speed
for linear algebra stuff, but building Atlas or linking against the
Intel MKL is complicated.

cheers,

David