[Numpy-discussion] Producing a Histogram When Bins Are Known

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Fri Nov 27 11:26:39 CST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> It's good to have some extra references for NumPy.
>
> Actually, it looks like exercising histogram in NunPy has gotten me past
> the difficulties with hist in matplotlib. I Is there a matplotlib or
> Pylab mailing list. It uses hist and looks very much like histogram, but
> has some parameters that I need to understand better. .

I don't know if this has come up yet in your questions, but matplotlib
has a mailing list that can be found here:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

There are also *numerous* examples that I have found indispensable in
getting over the initial learning curve if you click on examples from
their sourceforge docs.

It is my (quite possibly incorrect) understanding that
matplotlib.pylab has many of the same functions of numpy (and
leverages numpy in most(?) instances when possible).  I think that is
why it is recommended that for numpy users who only wish to use the
plotting functionality of matplotlib that you do

from matplotlib import pyplot as plt # or whatever

In any case, have a look through the examples in the matplotlib docs.
There may also be more examples installed with matplotlib itself.  I
don't know if they're all in the online docs.

Skipper