[Numpy-discussion] Database with Nulls to Numpy Structure

Mark Janikas mjanikas@esri....
Fri Oct 2 14:16:44 CDT 2009

Hello All,

I was hoping you could help me out with a simple little problem I am having:

I am reading data from a database that contains NULL values.  There is more than one field being read in with equal length, but if any of them are NULL in a row, then I do NOT want to include it in my numpy structure (I.e. no records for that row across fields).  As the values from each field are of the same type, I can pre-allocate the space for the entire dataset (if all were not NULL), but there may be less observations after accounting for the NULLS.  So, do I use lists and append then create the arrays... Or do I fill up the pre-allocated "empty" arrays and slice off the ends?  Thoughts?  Thanks much...

MJ

Mark Janikas
Product Engineer
ESRI, Geoprocessing