[Numpy-discussion] Questions about masked arrays

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Tue Oct 6 16:28:16 CDT 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Gökhan Sever wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a sample masked array data as shown below.
>
> 1-) When I list the whole array I see the fill value correctly.
> However below that line, when I do access the 5th element,
> fill_value flies upto 1e+20. What might be wrong here?

Nothing. Your 5th element is the special constant numpy.ma.masked,
which has its own filling_value by default. I'll check whether it's
worth inheriting the fill_value from the original array. If you could
give me a test case where you'd need that value to keep the original
filling_value, that'd help me make up my mind.

> 2-) What is wrong with the arccos calculation? Should not that
> result the same as with cos(d) result?

Mmh, what numpy are you using ? When I try with a recent one,
np.arccos does output ma.masked...