[Numpy-discussion] NumPy SVN broken

Wed Oct 7 07:31:25 CDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:06 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Looks like a clue ;)
>
> Ok, I fixed it here:
>
> http://github.com/cournape/numpy/tree/fix_abi
>
> But that's an ugly hack. I think we should consider rewriting how we
> generate the API: instead of automatically growing the API array of
> fptr, we should explicitly mark which function name has which index,
> and hardcode it. It would help quite a bit to avoid changing the ABI
> unvoluntary.

I'm thinking the safest thing to do is to move the new type to the end of
the list. I'm not sure what all the ramifications are for compatibility to
having it stuck in the middle like that, does it change the type numbers for
all the types after? I wonder what the type numbers are internally? No doubt
putting it at the end makes the logic for casting more difficult, but that
is something that needs fixing anyway. Question - if the new type is simply
removed from the list does anything break?

Chuck