[Numpy-discussion] rec_append_fields and n-dimensional fields

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille@gmail....
Wed Oct 14 08:52:29 CDT 2009

Hi,

I'm interested in constructing a recarray with fields that have two or
more dimensions. This can be done from scratch like this:

r = np.recarray((10,),dtype=[('c1',float,(3,))])

However, I am interested in appending a field to an existing recarray.
Rather than repeating existing code I would like to use the
numpy.lib.recfunctions.rec_append_fields method, but I am not sure how
to specify the dimension of each field, since it doesn't seem to be
possible to specify the dtype as a tuple as above.

Thanks for any advice,

Thomas