[Numpy-discussion] Objected-oriented SIMD API for Numpy

Thu Oct 22 02:41:10 CDT 2009

>> OK, I should have said "Object-oriented SIMD API that is implemented
>> using hardware SIMD instructions".
>
> No, I think you're right. Using "SIMD" to refer to numpy-like
> operations is an abuse of the term not supported by any outside
> community that I am aware of. Everyone else uses "SIMD" to describe
> hardware instructions, not the application of a single syntactical
> element of a high level language to a non-trivial data structure
> containing lots of atomic data elements.

I agree with Sturla, for instance nVidia GPUs do SIMD computations
with blocs of 16 values at a time, but the hardware behind can't
compute on so much data at a time. It's SIMD from our point of view,
just like Numpy does ;)

Matthieu
--
Information System Engineer, Ph.D.