[Numpy-discussion] documenting optional out parameter

Scott Sinclair scott.sinclair.za@gmail....
Mon Oct 26 00:51:40 CDT 2009

> 2009/10/26 Brent Pedersen <bpederse@gmail.com>:
> hi, i've seen this section:
> http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/Questions+Answers/#the-out-argument
>
> should _all_ functions with an optional out parameter have exactly that text?
> so if i find a docstring with reasonable, but different doc for out,
> should it be changed
> to that?

The Q&A doesn't seem to have reached a firm conclusion, so I'd suggest
that any correct and reasonable documentation of the out parameter is
fine.

> and if a docstring of a function with an optional out that needs
> review does not have
> the out parameter documented should it be marked as 'Needs Work'?

I'd say yes, since the docstring is incomplete in this case.

Cheers,
Scott