[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Scipy for EC2

Dorian Raymer deldotdr@gmail....
Thu Oct 29 01:24:00 CDT 2009

Hi Dan,

I have recently created an AMI for running python processes.

I recommend using the ubuntu server ami's provided by http://alestic.com/.
Alestic is a well known provider of public AMI images. I think this is
exactly the place you want to start from; anything you need is an apt-get or
easy_install away.
>From the moment you launch an instance, you are literally minutes away from
being able to run a computation with Python.

I also recommend the FireFox plugin called ElasticFox for interfacing the
AWS api. It is a lot easier than the command line api tools!

I left some rough notes on my AMI creation/setup process here:
http://wiki.github.com/codenode/codenode/backend-demonstration-ec2-image
The notes include the ami-id of my resulting image, which you should be able
to launch if you wish. If you are interested, I can dive into more detail on
how I set up the os/python environment, etc.

The image I created is used as the Codenode live public notebook backend:
http://live.codenode.org/
You can create an account, login, start a Notebook, import Numpy and run any
code you want right now!

Hope this is useful,
Dorian

I cross-posted this to codenode-devel, sympy, and sage-notebook; I think
this topic could be of interest to others on those lists.