[Numpy-discussion] greppable file of all numpy functions ?

denis bzowy denis-bz-py@t-online...
Tue Sep 8 09:28:30 CDT 2009

denis bzowy <denis-bz-py <at> t-online.de> writes:

> Does anyone have a program to generate a file with one line per Numpy function
> / class / method, for local grepping ?

Sorry I wasn't clear: I want just all defs, one per long line, like this:
PyQt4.QtCore.QObject.findChildren(type type, QRegExp regExp) -> list
PyQt4.QtCore.QObject.emit(SIGNAL(), ...)
PyQt4.QtCore.QObject.objectName() -> QString
PyQt4.QtCore.QObject.setObjectName(QString name)
PyQt4.QtCore.QObject.isWidgetType() -> bool
This file (PyQt4.api) is a bit different but you get the idea:

    egrep kilroy all.defs -> a.b.c.kilroy ... with args -- no __doc__

then pydoc or ipython %whoosh a.b.c.kilroy -> __doc__ is step 2.
Sound dumb ? Well, grep is fast, simple,
and works even when you don't know enough for tree-structured search.

Whooshdoc looks very nice, can it do just all.defs ?

(Oops, wdoc -v index numpy.core numpy.lib ->
  File "/opt/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/epydoc-3.0.1-py2.5.egg/epydoc/doc
    module_doc.package.submodules.append(module_doc)
AttributeError: _Sentinel instance has no attribute 'append'
log on the way to enthought-dev