[Numpy-discussion] numpy/scipy/matplotlib + 10.6 + Apple python 2.6.1

Tue Sep 8 11:58:13 CDT 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> I think it is best to avoid touching anything in /System.

Yes, it is.

> The better
> solution is to install things locally, at least if you don't need to
> share with several users one install.

And if you do, you can put it in:

/Library/Frameworks

(/Library is kind Apple's answer to /usr/local, at least for Frameworks)

What that means is that you need to install a new Python, too. I think
those notes were for using the Apple-supplied Python. But it's a good
idea to build your own Python (or install the python.org one) in
/Library anyway -- Apple has never upgraded a Python within an OS-X
release, and tends to have a bunch of not-quite-up-to-date pacakges
installed. Since you don't know which of those packages are being used
by Apple utilities, and Python doesn't provide a package versioning
system, and not all package updates are fully backwards compatible, it's
best to simply not mess with Apple's python at all.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov