[Numpy-discussion] 64-bit Fedora 9 a=numpy.zeros(0x80000000, dtype='b1')

Sun Sep 13 01:48:55 CDT 2009

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Citi, Luca <lciti@essex.ac.uk
> <mailto:lciti@essex.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     I just realized that Sebastian posted its 'uname -a' and he has a
>     64bit machine.
>     In this case it should work as mine (the 64bit one) does.
>     Maybe during the compilation some flags prevented a full 64bit
>     code to be compiled?
>     __
>

> Ints are still 32 bits on 64 bit machines, but the real question is
> how python interprets the hex value.

That's not a python problem: the conversion of the object to a C
int/long happens in numpy (in PyArray_IntpFromSequence in this case). I
am not sure I understand exactly what the code is doing, though. I don't
understand the rationale for #ifdef/#endif in the one item in shape
tuple case (line 521 and below), as well as the call to PyNumber_Int,

cheers,

David