[Numpy-discussion] `missing` argument in genfromtxt only a string?

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Sun Sep 13 12:29:27 CDT 2009

Is there a reason that the missing argument in genfromtxt only takes a string?

For instance, I have a dataset that in most columns has a zero for
some observations but in others it was just left blank, which is the
equivalent of zero.  I would like to set all of the missing to 0 (it
defaults to -1 now) when loading in the data.  I suppose I could do
this with a converter, but I have too many columns for this.

Before I try to work on a patch, I'd just like to know if I'm missing
something, maybe there's already way to do this (without using a
mask)?

-Skipper