[Numpy-discussion] defmatrix move - new docstrings disappeared

Thu Sep 17 14:58:23 CDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:

> to, 2009-09-17 kello 11:21 -0400, Ralf Gommers kirjoitti:
> > After the recent move of the matrix module, all the changes to the
> > docstrings have disappeared from the doc wiki. I imagine the changes
> > still live somewhere in the underlying repo but are not visible to the
> > user. Can they be restored? If there is some unforeseen problem with
> > that, I do have a recent patch saved that contains the latest edits
> > (but of course it won't apply cleanly).
>
> They are not lost (the app is designed so that things are not easily
> lost), and can be found by writing the old full URL:
>
>        http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.core.defmatrix/
>
> That is useful. Copying to the new location indeed seems better than
moving.

Even though the content is not technically lost, I would like to see
warnings for objects that have disappeared from svn. If content gets
silently hidden like this it will result in duplicated effort, you can't
rely on people noticing this every time.

The easiest way to make the transition is to copy the docstrings via SQL
> on the server.
>
> I think everything should be OK now -- please let me know if something
> is broken.

That fixed it, thanks. The one thing that did not get copied was the status
of docstrings marked Unimportant, they were still in the Needs editing
state. I changed those manually.

> You have reviewer rights, so you can go and click the "OK to apply"
> buttons, to flag those changes that are better than SVN.
>
> Also, check that no unwanted or dangerous code (eg. careless handling of
> temporary files, etc) is added to the examples -- they may eventually be
> executed after committed to SVN.

I'll work on it this weekend and will let you know when it is done.

Cheers,
Ralf