[Numpy-discussion] numpy docstring sphinx pre-processors

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Mon Sep 21 12:15:24 CDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:03, Elaine Angelino
> <elaine.angelino@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi there --
>>
>> I have been working on a small Python package whose central data object
>> comes from Numpy (the record array object).
>>
>> I would like to produce documentation that looks like Numpy's, and am
>> planning to follow Numpy's docstring standard.
>>
>> Numpy uses Sphinx to generate documentation (e.g. for HTML and LaTeX PDF
>> docs).
>>
>> My understanding is that Numpy has its own pre-processors that modify the
>> docstrings to format them in reStructuredText (reST) before using Sphinx to
>> produce the final output (see
>> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/CodingStyleGuidelines#docstring-standard).
>>
>> Are these Numpy pre-processors available to the community?  I would love to
>> use them!
>
> http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk/doc/sphinxext/
>
> --
> Robert Kern

I just struggled through the same task, which required some
adjustments to work on Windows. If you want to compare the versions,
the sphinx doc directory of statsmodels is here:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~scipystats/statsmodels/trunk/files/head%3A/scikits/statsmodels/docs/

This uses the numpy sphinxext, but requires a very recent sphinx and
doesn't include any older sphinx compatibility, but works almost out
of the box on both windows and linux.

Josef