[Numpy-discussion] Numpy question: Best hardware for Numpy?

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Mon Sep 21 14:49:00 CDT 2009

On 21-Sep-09, at 10:53 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Concerning the hardware, I have just bought a core i7 (the cheapest
> model is ~ 200$ now, with 4 cores and 8 Mb of shared cache), and the
> thing flies for floating point computation. My last computer was a
> pentium 4 so I don't have a lot of reference, but you can compute ~
> 300e6 exp (assuming a contiguous array), and ATLAS 3.8.3 built on it
> is extremely fast - using the threaded version, the asymptotic peak
> performances are quite impressive. It takes for example 14s to inverse
> a 5000x5000 matrix of double.

I thought you had a Macbook too?

The Core i5 750 seems like a good buy right now as well. A bit
cheaper, 4 cores and 8Mb of shared cache though at a slightly lower
clock speed.

David