[Numpy-discussion] chebyshev polynomials

Thu Sep 24 12:51:00 CDT 2009

Hi All,

Would it be appropriate to add a class similar to poly but instead using
chebyshev polynomials? That is, where we currently have

 'poly',
 'poly1d',
 'polyadd',
 'polyder',
 'polydiv',
 'polyfit',
 'polyint',
 'polymul',
 'polysub',
 'polyval',

change poly to cheb. The rational here is two-fold: first, chebyshev series
generally yield better conditioned fits than polynomials and second, I am
going to add a more general remez algorithm to scipy for real functions
defined on the unit circle in the complex plane and one of the consequences
is that it is possible to generate minmax polynomial fits over an interval,
but the natural form of the result is a chebyshev series.

Chuck