[Numpy-discussion] subclassing

Keith Goodman kwgoodman@gmail....
Tue Sep 29 13:19:22 CDT 2009

I ran across a problem while using numpy. But the problem is more of
python problem. I hope I am not too far off topic.

I have a class and a subclass:

class myclass:

    def __init__(self, x):
        self.x = x

    def __getitem__(self, index):
        if type(index) is slice:
            x = self.x[index]
            return myclass(x)
        else:
            raise IndexError, 'Only slicing is allowed in this example.'

    def calc(self):
        print 'myclass'

    def __repr__(self):
        return self.x.__repr__()

class mysubclass(myclass):

    def calc(self):
        print 'mySUBclass'

I can make an instance of mysubclass:

>> sub = mysubclass(np.array([1,2,3]))
>> sub
   array([1, 2, 3])
>> sub.calc()
mySUBclass

The problem occurs when I slice:

>> sub_slice = sub[1:]
>> sub_slice.calc()
myclass  # <--- Oops. I'd like this to be mySUBclass

Slicing causes sub to change from mysubclass to myclass. It does so
because __getitem__ returns myclass(x). I could make a __setitem__
method in mysubclass that returns mysubclass(x), but I have many such
methods with the same problem (not shown in the code above). Is there
another solution?