[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-dev] Deprecate chararray [was Plea for help]

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Tue Sep 29 13:55:53 CDT 2009

Michael:

Thanks so much, this is genuinely awesome!  Don't forget to email Joe
Harrington for your T-shirt - you more than deserve it! ;-)

A few specific comments below

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe@stsci.edu>wrote:

> I now have a rather large patch ready which addresses the following
> issues with chararrays.  Would it be possible to get SVN commit
> priviledges, or would you prefer a patch file?

I hope you're granted privileges (but I can't do that - don't even have 'em
myself); I'm pretty sure everyone on scipy-dev monitors this list as well,
but if you have to wait more than a few days for an affirmative reply one
way or the other, you should try posting there.

> 2) Improve documentation
>
> Every method now has a docstring, and a new page of routines has been
> added to the Sphinx tree.

Awesome, thanks!

> 4c) Design and create an interface to those methods that will be the
> "right way" going forward
>
> All vectorized string operations are now available as regular functions
> in the numpy.char namespace.  Usage of the chararray view class is only
> recommended for numarray backward compatibility.

Again, thanks for this.  But I wonder aloud (asking long-time developers):
do we have any systematic ways to steer people in such directions?  (This
should probably be a new thread...)

> A few side notes:
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1200 (chararray.rstrip
> inconsistency)
>
> This bug I believe should be marked as "won't fix".  The inconsistent
> handling of trailing whitespace inconsistency is an unfortunate
> "feature" of the chararray class, and I am wary that fixing it may break
> backward compatibility.  However, the new free functions in numpy.char
> do not have this inconsistency, so they should be recommended for new code.

OK, sounds "acceptable."

And three more times: thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

DG