[Numpy-discussion] Name of the file associated with a memmap

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Apr 12 16:22:28 CDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 16:15, Peter
<numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Looks OK, I applied it. Could you add some documentation?
>>>

>> And maybe the filename should be the whole path? Thoughts?
>>
>> Chuck
>
> Why is the new property "filename" and not "name" to match
> the way the Python handle work? e.g.

> 'Documents/review.pdf'
>
> I concede that "filename" is more explicit, but there is something
> to be said for consistency as well.

While you would expect the .name attribute of a file object to be a
file name, the .name attribute an another type of object may be
something different. memmap objects are quite different from file
objects; we gain no particular consistency by using .name instead of
.filename.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."