[Numpy-discussion] how to tally the values seen

Peter Shinners pete@shinners....
Wed Apr 14 01:10:59 CDT 2010

I have an array that represents the number of times a value has been
given. I'm trying to find a direct numpy way to add into these sums
without requiring a Python loop.

For example, say there are 10 possible values. I start with an array of
zeros.

 >>> counts = numpy.zeros(10, numpy.int)

Now I get an array with several values in them, I want to add into
counts. All I can think of is a for loop that will give my the results I
want.

 >>> values = numpy.array((2, 8, 1))
 >>> for v in values:
...    counts[v] += 1
 >>> print counts
[0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0]

I also need to handle the case where a value is listed more than once.
So if values is (2, 8, 1, 2) then count[2] would equal 2.

What is the most efficient way to do this?