[Numpy-discussion] Disabling Extended Precision in NumPy (like -ffloat-store)

Adrien Guillon aj.guillon@gmail....
Wed Apr 21 09:47:23 CDT 2010

Hello all,

I've recently started to use NumPy to prototype some numerical
algorithms, which will eventually find their way to a GPU (where I
want to limit myself to single-precision operations for performance
reasons).  I have recently switched to the use of the "single" type in
NumPy to ensure I use single-precision floating point operations.

My understanding, however, is that Intel processors may use extended
precision for some operations anyways unless this is explicitly
disabled, which is done with gcc via the -ffloat-store operation.
Since I am prototyping algorithms for a different processor
architecture, where the extended precision registers simply do not
exist, I would really like to force NumPy to limit itself to using
single-precision operations throughout the calculation (no extended
precision in registers).

How can I do this?

Thanks!

AJ