[Numpy-discussion] proposing a "beware of [as]matrix()" warning

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Wed Apr 28 13:30:11 CDT 2010

On 4/28/2010 12:08 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
> it would be good to deprecate the matrix class
> from NumPy

Please let us not have this discussion all over again.

The matrix class is very useful for teaching.
In economics for example, the use of matrix algebra
is widespread, while algebra with arrays that are
not matrices is very rare.  I can (and do) use NumPy
matrices even in undergraduate courses.

If you do not like them, do not use them.

If you want `matrix` replaced with a better matrix
object, offer a replacement for community consideration.

Thank you,
Alan Isaac

PS There is one change I would not mind: let
A * M be undefined if A is an ndarray and
M is a NumPy matrix.