[Numpy-discussion] Changing a matrix element into a scalar

PHobson@Geosynte... PHobson@Geosynte...
Tue Aug 3 11:28:49 CDT 2010

Wayne,

Matrices are two dimensional arrays so you need two indices to access an individual element:

In [1]: from numpy import matrix

In [2]: m = matrix([[1.2],[2.3]])

In [3]: m[0,0]
Out[3]: 1.2

-paul

-----Original Message-----
From: numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org [mailto:numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org] On Behalf Of Wayne Watson
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:24 AM
To: Discussion of Numerical Python
Subject: [Numpy-discussion] Changing a matrix element into a scalar

How do I access 1.2 in such a way as to end up with a float? I keep
getting a matrix.
from numpy import matrix
m = matrix([[1.2],[2.3]])

              "Republicans are always complaining that government is
               out of control. If they get into power, they will
               prove it." -- R. J. Rourke

                     Web Page:<www.speckledwithstars.net/>