[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.5.0 beta 1

Sandro Tosi morph@debian....
Mon Aug 16 03:50:48 CDT 2010

Hi all,
sorry for the delay

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 18:38, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the availability of the first beta of NumPy 1.5.0.
> This will be the first NumPy release to include support for Python 3, as
> well as for Python 2.7. Please try this beta and report any problems on the
> NumPy mailing list.
>
> Binaries, sources and release notes can be found at
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/
> Please note that binaries for Python 3.1 are not yet up, they will follow as
> soon as a minor issue with building them is resolved. Building from source
> with Python 3.1 should work without problems.

I gave it a run on the Debian packaging system and these are the results:

- python 3.1 can't compile it:

$ python3 setup.py build
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 210, in <module>
    setup_package()
  File "setup.py", line 174, in setup_package
    import py3tool
ImportError: No module named py3tool

but this is already known, py3tool is missing from the tarball.

- python2.6 build, installation and numpy.test() works fine

- I have a problem building documentation:

# build doc only for default python version
(export MPLCONFIGDIR=. ; make -C doc html
PYTHONPATH=../build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.6)
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/python-numpy-1.5.0~b1/doc'
mkdir -p build
python \
		./sphinxext/autosummary_generate.py source/reference/*.rst \
		-p dump.xml -o source/reference/generated
./sphinxext/autosummary_generate.py:18: DeprecationWarning: The
numpydoc.autosummary extension can also be found as
sphinx.ext.autosummary in Sphinx >= 0.6, and the version in Sphinx >=
0.7 is superior to the one in numpydoc. This numpydoc version of
autosummary is no longer maintained.
  from autosummary import import_by_name
Failed to import 'numpy.__array_priority__':
Failed to import 'numpy.core.defchararray.len':
Failed to import 'numpy.generic.__squeeze__':
touch build/generate-stamp
mkdir -p build/html build/doctrees
LANG=C sphinx-build -b html -d build/doctrees   source build/html
Running Sphinx v0.6.6

Extension error:
Could not import extension numpydoc (exception: No module named domains.c)
1.5b1 1.5.0b1

I don't know exactly the reason for the "Failed to import X" but they
are there also for 1.4.1 so they should not be a problem. Anyhow,
there is no file named 'domains.c' in the tarball.

Regards,