[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.5.0 beta 1

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Mon Aug 16 10:51:50 CDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> sorry for the delay
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 18:38, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I am pleased to announce the availability of the first beta of NumPy
>> > 1.5.0.
>> > This will be the first NumPy release to include support for Python 3, as
>> > well as for Python 2.7. Please try this beta and report any problems on
>> > the
>> > NumPy mailing list.
>> >
>> > Binaries, sources and release notes can be found at
>> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/
>> > Please note that binaries for Python 3.1 are not yet up, they will
>> > follow as
>> > soon as a minor issue with building them is resolved. Building from
>> > source
>> > with Python 3.1 should work without problems.
>>
>> I gave it a run on the Debian packaging system and these are the results:
>>
>> - python 3.1 can't compile it:
>>
>> $ python3 setup.py build
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "setup.py", line 210, in <module>
>>    setup_package()
>>  File "setup.py", line 174, in setup_package
>>    import py3tool
>> ImportError: No module named py3tool
>>
>> but this is already known, py3tool is missing from the tarball.
>>
>> - python2.6 build, installation and numpy.test() works fine
>>
>> - I have a problem building documentation:
>>
>> # build doc only for default python version
>> (export MPLCONFIGDIR=. ; make -C doc html
>> PYTHONPATH=../build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.6)
>> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/python-numpy-1.5.0~b1/doc'
>> mkdir -p build
>> python \
>>                ./sphinxext/autosummary_generate.py source/reference/*.rst
>> \
>>                -p dump.xml -o source/reference/generated
>> ./sphinxext/autosummary_generate.py:18: DeprecationWarning: The
>> numpydoc.autosummary extension can also be found as
>> sphinx.ext.autosummary in Sphinx >= 0.6, and the version in Sphinx >=
>> 0.7 is superior to the one in numpydoc. This numpydoc version of
>> autosummary is no longer maintained.
>>  from autosummary import import_by_name
>> Failed to import 'numpy.__array_priority__':
>> Failed to import 'numpy.core.defchararray.len':
>> Failed to import 'numpy.generic.__squeeze__':
>> touch build/generate-stamp
>> mkdir -p build/html build/doctrees
>> LANG=C sphinx-build -b html -d build/doctrees   source build/html
>> Running Sphinx v0.6.6
>>
>> Extension error:
>> Could not import extension numpydoc (exception: No module named domains.c)
>> 1.5b1 1.5.0b1
>
> That's because of the version of Sphinx, domains were introduced in version
> 1.0. With that you should be able to build the docs.

Ah, glad that the directives bug got fixed.  I get the same error as
above with Sphinx 1.0.  Different error with Sphinx 1.0.2.

In [2]: np.__version__
Out[2]: '2.0.0.dev8645'

$ make html
mkdir -p build
touch build/generate-stamp
mkdir -p build/html build/doctrees
LANG=C sphinx-build -b html -d build/doctrees   source build/html
Running Sphinx v1.0.2
2.0.dev8645 2.0.0.dev8645

<snip>

Exception occurred:
  File "/home/skipper/numpy/doc/sphinxext/docscrape.py", line 208, in
parse_item_name
    raise ValueError("%s is not a item name" % text)
ValueError:   is not a item name
The full traceback has been saved in /tmp/sphinx-err-eHqxHV.log, if
you want to report the issue to the developers.
Please also report this if it was a user error, so that a better error
message can be provided next time.
Either send bugs to the mailing list at
<http://groups.google.com/group/sphinx-dev/>,
or report them in the tracker at
<http://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/sphinx/issues/>. Thanks!
make: *** [html] Error 1

Full output: http://pastebin.com/3yGHa1wu
Log output: http://pastebin.com/JLbVHjLY

Also upgraded to docutils 0.7 to be sure, and the error persists.  Any ideas?

Skipper