[Numpy-discussion] Building f2py extensions on AMD64 with Python 2.7 Numpy 1.5, MSVC 2008 Pro and gfortran

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Mon Aug 16 12:36:01 CDT 2010

> Sturla,
>
> Have you tried the Equation Solution versions of the gcc tools?
> http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?fa=fortran
>
> Eric

It does not matter which mingw-w64 build we use. The import libraries will
still be missing, and the issies with libgfortran are still there. Also,
AVG and McAfee warns about a trojan in the installers from equation.com. I
am not taking any chances with a compromised C compiler. Imagine a
compiler that infects anything you build with malware. That is about as
bad as it gets. I'd rather play safe and use a mingw build from a trusted
source; one that antivirus software don't warn me about. Building
mingw-w64 from gcc sources is not rocket science either.

Personally I use Absoft Pro Fortran and the MSVC compiler.

Sturla