[Numpy-discussion] Seeking advice on crowded namespace.

Mon Aug 16 22:00:13 CDT 2010

Hi All,

I just added support for Legendre polynomials to numpy and I think the
numpy.polynomial name space is getting a bit crowded. Since most of the
current functions in that namespace are just used to implement the
Polynomial, Chebyshev, and Legendre classes I'm thinking of only importing
those classes by default and leaving the other functions to explicit
imports. Of course I will have to fix the examples and maybe some other
users will be inconvenienced by the change. But with 2.0.0 in the works this
might be a good time to do this. Thoughts?

Chuck