[Numpy-discussion] Seeking advice on crowded namespace.

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed Aug 18 12:27:36 CDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> to change one type into another instead of the current 6 possibilities?
>>>

>> The class types can be converted to each other, with an optional change of
>> domain, using the convert method, i.e., if p is an instance of Legendre
>>
>> p.convert(kind=Chebyshev)
>>
>> will do the conversion to a Chebyshev series.. The classes don't actually
>> use the *2* functions, oddly enough ;)
>>

>>> Similarily there are obviously a very similar functions that just work
>>> with one polynomial type so the functionality is duplicated across each
>>> class that could be a single function each:
>>> chebadd    legadd    polyadd
>>> chebder    legder    polyder
>>> chebdiv    legdiv    polydiv
>>> chebdomain    legdomain    polydomain
>>> chebfit    legfit    polyfit
>>> chebfromroots    legfromroots    polyfromroots
>>> chebint    legint    polyint
>>> chebline    legline    polyline
>>> chebmul    legmul    polymul
>>> chebmulx    legmulx    polymulx
>>> chebone    legone    polyone
>>> chebroots    legroots    polyroots
>>> chebsub    legsub    polysub
>>> chebtrim    legtrim    polytrim
>>> chebval    legval    polyval
>>> chebvander    legvander    polyvander
>>> chebx    legx    polyx
>>> chebzero    legzero    polyzero
>>>
>>> However, I doubt that is worth the work if the overall amount of code is
>>> not reduced. For example, if you create a overall function that just
>>> calls the appropriate add function for that type of polynomial then I do
>>> not see any advantage in doing so just to reduce the namespace.
>>> If you can argue that is very beneficial to the user of polynomial
>>> functions then that could put a different spin on doing that.
>>>
>>> While I would have to check more carefully (as I don't have time now),
>>> aren't chebadd, legadd and polyadd essentially the same function?
>>> That is, can you send a Legendre polynomial to the same Chebysnev
>>> function and get the same answer back?
>>> If so then these functions should be collapsed into one for numpy 2.0.
>>>

>> Yeah, the add and subtract functions are all the same along with the *trim
>> functions. These things are all accessable through the classes ustng +/- and
>> the trim and truncate methods. Which is why for normal work I think the
>> classes are the way to go, the functions are just for implementing the
>> classes and available in case someone wants to roll their own.
>>

> The various classes are generated from a single string template and need the
> functions. The classes implement a common interface, the functions do what
> is specific to the various types of polynomial. In general it is a good idea
> to keep the specific bits out of classes since designing *the* universal
> class is hard and anyone who wants to just borrow a bit of code will end up
> cursing the SOB who buried the good stuff in a class, creating all sorts of
> inconvenient dependencies. That's my experience, anyway. I also wanted to
> keep open the possibility of using cython to speed up specific small bits of

I also like internal code that can be borrowed.

One possible idea if you keep extending polynomial and the number of
modules and unique names is to import the extra functions into a
common module but not into the main namespace.

e.g. poly.py
--
from polynomial import *
from chebyshev import *

and import only the classes into the main namespace

e.g.
from np.polynomial.poly import chebvander, chebfit, polyfit

(chebvander might be nicer than chebfit, because I can also calculate
the covariance matrix :)
(haven't tried it yet)

Josef