[Numpy-discussion] mingw-w64 tutorial ?

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke@uci....
Sat Aug 21 17:02:21 CDT 2010

On 8/21/2010 2:37 PM, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Christoph Gohlke<cgohlke@uci.edu>  wrote:
>>

>> On 8/21/2010 1:44 PM, Sebastian Haase wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> this is somewhat OT for this list, but since I know that David and
>>> many others here have lot's of experience compiling C extensions I
>>> thought I could just ask:
>>> Looking at
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/
>>> I did not know (even after reading the FAQ) which file to download and
>>> how things would eventually work.
>>>
>>> I have a 64bit windows 7 installed, and got many precompiled packages
>>> for amd64 Python 2.7 from
>>> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
>>> (thanks to  Christoph Gohlke for all the work)
>>> But now I have some C++ extensions on my own, and know how build them
>>> using cygwin -- but that would only produce 32bit modules and should
>>> be unusable.
>>>
>>> So, the question is if someone has or knows of some tutorial about how
>>> to go about this - step by step. This info could maybe even go the
>>> scipy wiki....
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sebastian Haase
>>

>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> I am not aware of such a tutorial. There's some information at
>> <http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/MicrosoftToolchainSupport>
>>
>> I did not have good experience last time (about a year ago) I tried
>> mingw-w64. Occasional crashes during compilation and at runtime.
>> Probably that has changed. At least you have to create the missing
>> libpython and libmsvcr90 libraries from the dlls and make libmsvcr90 the
>> default crt.
>>
>> You probably know that the "free" Windows 7 Platform SDK can be used to
>> build Python>=2.6 extensions written in C89.
>> <http://mattptr.net/2010/07/28/building-python-extensions-in-a-modern-windows-environment/>
>>
>> --
> Hi Christoph,
>
> I did not exactly know this - thanks for the info (I knew about
> something called Visual Studio Express 2003- but that only
> works/worked for Python 2.5, I think...)

You can use Visual Studio Express 2008 for building 32 bit extensions
for Python >=2.6.

> Rephrasing my original question: Is the mingw-w64 at all "easy" by now

Don't know. David Cournapeau probably has the most experience.

http://bugs.python.org/issue4709
http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?call=fortran

> ? How about cross compiling to 64bit Windows from a 32bit Ubuntu (that
> I could easily run on virtualbox) ?

I am also interested in cross compiling on Ubuntu but have not found the
time to get started. The IOCBio project cross-compiles their 32 bit
extensions on Linux
<http://code.google.com/p/iocbio/wiki/BuildWindowsInstallersOnLinux>.
But as you can see they use Wine and Mingw...

> (But I'm not apposed at all to the "free" Windows 7 Platform SDK, so
> I'll look into that -- giant download !?)

About one GB.

--
Christoph