[Numpy-discussion] numpy installation problems

martin djokovic martin.djokovic@gmail....
Sun Aug 22 17:29:27 CDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I have an old machine with Fedora 6 installed -numpy was installed but when
I tried to install scipy it did not work so I gave up but that messed up my
already installed numpy and now I get the following error message
>>> import numpy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 44,
in ?
    import fft
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/fft/__init__.py", line
4, in ?
    from fftpack import *
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/fft/fftpack.py", line
28, in ?
    import fftpack_lite as fftpack
ImportError:
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/fft/fftpack_lite.so: undefined
symbol: vmldCos2

I am not very conversant with Linux systems but from googling I am guessing
this is to do with the C compiler-sould I reinstall something?
Your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks