[Numpy-discussion] Github migration?

Travis Oliphant oliphant@enthought....
Mon Aug 23 15:30:19 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm curious as to the status of the Github migration and if there is anything I can do to help.  I have a couple of weeks right now and I would love to see us make the transition of both NumPy and SciPy to GIT.

On a slightly related note, it would really help the numpy-refactor project if it received more input from others in the community.   Right now, the numpy-refactor is happening on a public github branch (named numpy-refactor) awaiting numpy itself to be on github.   It would be more useful if the numpy-refactor branch were a regular branch of the github NumPy project.

The numpy-refactor project is making great progress and we have a working core library that can be built on Windows, Mac, and Linux.     The goal is for this numpy-refactor to become the basis for NumPy 2.0 which should come out sometime this Fall.     Already, a lot of unit tests have been written and code coverage has increased on the core NumPy code which I think we all agree is "a good thing"   In addition, some lingering reference count bugs (particularly in object arrays) have been found and squashed.

There is also some good progress on the Cython backend for .NET which would allow and also put pressure on migration of most of SciPy to Cython-or-Fwrap generated extension modules.

I am looking forward to working on NumPy a little more over the coming months.

All the best,

-Travis