[Numpy-discussion] further to my previous numpy installation problems

Mon Aug 23 22:38:36 CDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM, martin djokovic
> <martin.djokovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > First of all sorry about not posting as a reply in the above thread-for
> some
> > reason it does not seem to work
> >
> > So have to post as a new question-sorry about that.
> >
> > Ok so got a tar file installed as root, then did
> >
> > LOCATE NUMPY
> >
> > All most all the files found with numpy were in
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy
> >
> > Which is where I installed numpy.........
> >
> > Both root and user are set to use python 2.4
> >
> > However the following were also listed-
> >
> > I as root can remove them but I am scared that that might mess something
> > else-should I remove them and try again? I am specially concerned about
> the
> > redhat/SOURCES and also the first entry (which I did remove before
> > installing this time but has come back)
> >
> > /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy
> >
> > /usr/local/share/pymol/ext/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric/_numpy.so
> >
> > /usr/share/doc/numpy-1.0.3
> >
> > /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/numpy-1.0.1-f2py.patch
> >
> > /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/numpy-1.0.3-2.tar.gz
> >
> > /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/numpy-1.0.3-setup.patch
> >
> > /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/numpy.spec
> >
> > /scratch/numpy-1.0.4
> >
> > /usr/bin/f2py.numpy
> >
> > /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric/_numpy.so
> >
> > /usr/local/biopython-1.53/numpy
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric/_numpy.so

> So you have two python2.4 installations:
> 1)  /usr/lib/python2.4 that is from Fedora (because you have the
> redhat sources directory) and is not used (but could be via full path
> '/usr/bin/python'.
> 2) /usr/local/lib/python2.4
>
> The only way that I can explain that is that you installed your own
> version of python2.4 and perhaps later the distro updated it's
> version. Or something similar. Reverting back to the distro version is
> not that easy but reinstalling Python could do it. However, you would
> need either the original disks or point your package manager to use
> the appropriate repositories (some are linked available at
> http://fedoralegacy.org/download/fedoralegacy-mirrors.php ). You might
> that those disks or links if you do not have what you need for scipy
> (Fortran compiler with the LAPACK, BLAS, and ATLAS libraries).
>
> Anyhow you appear to be using the /usr/local stuff so you should not
> touch that unless you want to reinstall numpy again.
>
> I would suggest trying to use the package manager or yum/rpm to remove
> the numpy package and for that matter Numeric.  That should actually
> remove most of these entries and leave you in 'control' of numpy. You
> might find that there may be other dependencies but it should not
> touch anything in the '/usr/local' directory.

I would leave the Fedora Python alone as Fedora uses it and taking it out
will delete various modules needed by yum and other interface bits.
Restoring functionality after that can be a pain and, yes, I made that
mistake once. I would stick to the system python just for simplicity.

Chuck