[Numpy-discussion] numpy histogram normed=True (bug / confusing behavior)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Aug 27 15:47:05 CDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 15:32, David Huard <david.huard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nils and Joseph,
> Thanks for the bug report, this is now fixed in SVN (r8672).

While we're at it, can we change the name of the argument? "normed"
has caused so much confusion over the years. We could deprecate
normed=True in favor of pdf=True or density=True.

We may even want to consider leaving the normed=True implementation
alone with just the deprecation warning. While the behavior is
incorrect, it is also very long-standing and something that people
might simply have coded around. Changing the behavior without
deprecation might break their workarounds silently. I admit it's a bit
of a stretch, but conservativeness and coupled with the opportunity to
make a desirable name change make this more attractive.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco