[Numpy-discussion] bincount() optional length argument

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Fri Aug 27 16:13:03 CDT 2010

I've been using bincount() in situations where I always want the count vector to be a certain fixed length, even if the upper bins are 0. e.g. I want the counts of 0 through 9, and if there are no 9's in the vector I'm counting, I'd still like it to be at least length 10. It's kind of a pain to have to check for this case and concatenate 0's, nevermind an extra array allocation.

How would people feel about an optional argument to support this behaviour? I'd be happy with either a "minlength" or an "exactly this length" with values above this range being ignored, but it seems like the latter might be useful in more cases.

What are other people's thoughts on this? bincount is in C so it'll be a slight pain to do, however I'd be willing to do it if the patch has a reasonable chance of being accepted.

David