[Numpy-discussion] Refactor fork uses the ./configure, make, make install process.

Sat Dec 4 13:21:15 CST 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Ilan Schnell <ischnell@enthought.com>wrote:

> Hello Charles,
>
> it was indeed the intention to change the build process of the core
> libndarray to use autoconf.  I've tested it on Linux, Mac, Solaris, and
> it works very well.  libndarray is really a separate project, which only
> resides for current development inside the numpy project.  The point
> is that you can build libndarray without having a particular Python
> installed.  The hope is that libndarray becomes used by other projects
> which are not Python based, for example:
>  * a pure C program
>  * a Perl C extension
>  * a Ruby C extension
>
> I thought that autoconf was the obvious choice for doing this, and also
> that is cleaner than numpy.distutils.

So does numpy currently build on top of libndarray or is that something for
the future also? It would also be useful for David C. to offer his thoughts
on building/packaging, did you consult with him by any chance?

Chuck