[Numpy-discussion] Refactor fork uses the ./configure, make, make install process.

Tue Dec 7 18:36:56 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Jason McCampbell <
> jmccampbell@enthought.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the late reply... I missed this thread.  Thanks to Ilan for
>> pointing it out.  A variety of comments below...
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Charles R Harris<
>> charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering if this is temporary or the intention is to change the
>>> build process? I also note that the *.h files in libndarray are not complete
>>> and a *lot* of trailing whitespace has crept into the files.
>>

>> For the purposes of our immediate project the intent is to use autoconf
>> since it's widely available and makes building this part Python-independent
>> and easier than working it into both distutils and numscons.  Going forward
>> it's certainly open to discussion.
>>

> Yes, maintaining multiple build systems is a hassle. I'm wondering if we
> shouldn't remove the scons stuff and stick with distutils until we
> definitely decide there is a better way.

Why would you want to remove scons before we settle on a final new way of
doing things? It's not that much effort to maintain as far as I'm aware, and
more useful (at least to me) than distutils. I don't see a reason not to
keep it until we have something that's actually better (hopefully bento).

Ralf