[Numpy-discussion] Most efficient trim of arrays

Mark Janikas mjanikas@esri....
Tue Dec 14 12:20:00 CST 2010

Hello All,

I was wondering what the best way to trim an array based on some values I do not want....  I could use NUM.where or NUM.take... but let me give you an example:

import numpy as NUM
n = 100 (Length of my dataset)
data = NUM.empty((n,), float)
badRecords = []
for ind, record in enumerate(records):
                if record == someValueIDOntWant:
                                badRecords.append(ind)
                else:
                                data[ind] = record

Now, I want to "trim" my array using badRecords.  I guess I want to avoid copying.  Any thoughts on the best way to do it?  I do not want to use lists and then subsequently array the result as it is nice to pre-allocate the space.

Thanks much,

MJ