[Numpy-discussion] Giving numpy the ability to multi-iterate excluding an axis

John Salvatier jsalvati@u.washington....
Mon Dec 20 15:42:26 CST 2010

A while ago, I asked a whether it was possible to multi-iterate over several
ndarrays but exclude a certain axis(
http://www.mail-archive.com/numpy-discussion@scipy.org/msg29204.html), sort
of a combination of PyArray_IterAllButAxis and PyArray_MultiIterNew. My goal
was to allow creation of relatively complex ufuncs that can allow reduction
or directionally dependent computation and still use broadcasting (for
example a moving averaging ufunc that can have changing averaging
parameters). I didn't get any solutions, which I take to mean that no one
knew how to do this.

I am thinking about trying to make a numpy patch with this functionality,
and I have some questions: 1) How difficult would this kind of task be for
someone with non-expert C knowledge and good numpy knowledge? 2) Does anyone
have advice on how to do this kind of thing?

Best Regards,
John