[Numpy-discussion] savetxt to a string?

Peter numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co...
Wed Dec 22 08:33:05 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is the formatting of savetxt available with a string as the destination?
>>>
>>> If not, shouldn't this functionality be factored out of savetxt?
>>>

>> Have you tried using a StringIO handle?
>>
>> Peter
>
> Yup.  But wouldn't it be cleaner to factor out this functionality and make
> saving to a file use this?

I doubt it.

I would think from a code point of view no - taking filenames or handles
means you can write everything using handle.write(...) statements, and
send the data to disk (or a StringIO handle) gradually. This scales well
with large data.

If you wanted a single code base to support filenames, handles, or
output as a string I think you'd be forced to build a large string in
memory, and then (if applicable) write it to disk (in one go). This
won't scale well with large data.

Peter