David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Feb 2 02:11:46 CST 2010

Hi,

This is a follow-up of the discussion about ABI-breakage in Numpy
1.4.0. To sum it up, it is caused by the new datetime support, and it
seems difficult to fix without removing datetime support altogether
for the 1.4.x series.

Both Chuck and myself are in favor of removing the datetime altogether
for 1.4.x as a solution. At least in my case, it is mostly justified
by the report from David Huard that the current datetime support is
still a bit too experimental to be useful for people who rely on
binaries.

Are there any objections ? I know in particular Travis was against it
when it was suggested, but it was not known at that time that the
datetime support would break the ABI (I would have been more strongly
against it if I knew at that time). The alternative is to just signal
a breakage of the ABI in NumPy 1.4.1. I would like to solve this issue
ASAP, as it is quite a burden for people who rely on binaries
(changing the ABI would at least generate a useful message instead of
weird failures / crashes).

cheers,

David