Travis Oliphant oliphant@enthought....
Tue Feb 2 18:26:32 CST 2010

On Feb 2, 2010, at 3:11 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a follow-up of the discussion about ABI-breakage in Numpy
> 1.4.0. To sum it up, it is caused by the new datetime support, and it
> seems difficult to fix without removing datetime support altogether
> for the 1.4.x series.
>
> Both Chuck and myself are in favor of removing the datetime altogether
> for 1.4.x as a solution. At least in my case, it is mostly justified
> by the report from David Huard that the current datetime support is
> still a bit too experimental to be useful for people who rely on
> binaries.
>
> Are there any objections ? I know in particular Travis was against it
> when it was suggested, but it was not known at that time that the
> datetime support would break the ABI (I would have been more strongly
> against it if I knew at that time).

I'm still pretty strongly against it.   I was suspicious about claims
that we didn't need to change the ABI to add the datetime support.   I
would have preferred to just change the ABI for NumPy 1.4 rather than
try not to in the first place.

I think we just signal the breakage in 1.4.1 and move forward.   The
datetime is useful as a place-holder for data.  Math on date-time
arrays just doesn't work yet.    I don't think removing it is the
right approach.    It would be better to spend the time on fleshing
out the ufuncs and conversion functions for date-time support.

-Travis