[Numpy-discussion] Conversion of matlab import containing objects into 3d array

Angus McMorland amcmorl@gmail....
Fri Feb 5 14:12:49 CST 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to import data from a matlab file using scipy.io.loadmat.
One of the variables in the file imports as an array of shape (51,) of
dtype object, with each element being an array of shape (23,100) of
dtype float. How do I convert this array into a single array of dtype
float with shape (51,23,100)? objarr.astype(float), which I thought
might work (from [1]), gives me the error "ValueError: setting an
array element with a sequence.".

[1] http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/numpy-discussion/2998408

Many thanks for any help,

Angus.