David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sat Feb 6 06:17:22 CST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:
> Given all the discussions that have happened.  I want to be clear
> about my proposal.  It is:
>
> * 1.4.1 is an ABI break including datetime, hasobject, and a few place-
> holders in the structures
> * no future ABI breakages until after the Py3K transition (at least 18
> months away) -- I don't foresee any future ABI changes at all, nor do
> I think we will need any ABI changes in the next 2 years.
> * 1.3.9 is a release with all the features of 1.4 except the ABI
> breaking date-time addition
> * 1.3.9 release occurs as soon as we can get it out (like next week
> --- I will commit Monday-Tuesday to do the date-time removal).
> * 1.4.1 release occurs as soon as we can get it out with all the ABI
> changes we know about (which are already in 1.4.0 --- we just bump up
> the ABI version number).  I would estimate a release by the end of
> February.

So it seems that there is an agreement of breaking the ABI only once
overall. This is good.

> I think this plan is the least disruptive and satisfies the concerns
> of all parties in the discussion.  The other plans that have been
> proposed do not address my concerns of keeping the date-time changes

In that regard, your proposal is very similar to what was suggested at
the beginning - the difference is only whether breaking at 1.4.x or
1.5.x.

I don't care that much about where (1.4.x vs 1.5.x)  the datetime is
pushed. But then the hasobject-related changes should be put
altogether, to respect the goal of breaking the ABI only once. If you
think it can be done for the end of february, then I don't see much
point in releasing what you call 1.3.9, because I really don't want to
have to put numpy-version specific scipy/maplotlib/whatever. The
release with datetime changes will be the one to build scipy and
matplotlib against (I will then focus on releasing scipy 0.8.0).

1.4.0 would is then considered as a broken release (I am removing the
files from sourceforge).

cheers,

David