Travis Oliphant oliphant@enthought....
Sat Feb 6 21:16:03 CST 2010

On Feb 6, 2010, at 7:07 AM, Francesc Alted wrote:

> A Saturday 06 February 2010 13:17:22 David Cournapeau escrigué:
>> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com
>> >
> wrote:
>>> I think this plan is the least disruptive and satisfies the concerns
>>> of all parties in the discussion.  The other plans that have been
>>> proposed do not address my concerns of keeping the date-time changes
>>
>> In that regard, your proposal is very similar to what was suggested
>> at
>> the beginning - the difference is only whether breaking at 1.4.x or
>> 1.5.x.
>
> I'm thinking why should we so conservative in raising version
> numbers?  Why
> not relabeling 1.4.0 to 2.0 and mark 1.4.0 as a broken release?
> Then, we can
> continue by putting everything except ABI breaking features in
> 1.4.1.  With
> this, NumPy 2.0 will remain available for people wanting to be more
> on-the-
> bleeding-edge.  Something similar to what has happened with Python
> 3.0, which
> has not prevented the 2.x series to evolve.

This is not advisable in my mind because we don't have nearly enough
developer resources to start having 2 maintained branches of NumPy.
The expectation that bug-fixes and other improvements will be
happening on two different release tracks of NumPy is just not
realistic right now.

I was only mildly supportive of making another ABI compatible
release.   The resistance to my approach has dampened my enthusiasm
for doing the work necessary to make it happen.    That's quite O.K.
though.   If David or somebody else wants to make a 1.4.1 release that
is ABI compatible with the 1.3 series then great.

I will just work on trunk and assume that the next release will be ABI
incompatible.   At this point I would rather call the next version 1.5
than 2.0, though.  When the date-time work is completed, then we could
release an ABI-compatible-with-1.5  version 2.0.    My view of the
timeline for the 1.5 release is the end of February.

-Travis