[Numpy-discussion] Unable to install Numpy

David Cournapeau david@silveregg.co...
Sun Feb 7 23:21:36 CST 2010

Christopher Barker wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>> Not exactly, although it prevents from building Atlas for 64 bits. The
>> main issue is gcc/VS interoperabilities, especially for gfortran.
>
> I thought you didn't need fortran for numpy?

No, but you need it for Scipy. And we have always produced NumPy with
Lapack support on windows.

>> I don't think it makes sense for NumPy itself to provide
>> binaries which do not use open source compilers
>
> um, why not? python itself is built witht he MS compilers.

Because there is no free fortran compiler on windows64, except for
gfortran. Since I am not sure whether it will be possible to use
gfortran/Visual Stsudio together to build NumPy/SciPy, I don't want to
distribute binaries which will be incompatible with each other if we
change from Visual Studio to gcc.

People who really need NumPy on win64 can build it by themselves, or use
any other mean (EPD, unofficial binaries, etc...).

cheers,

David