Thu Feb 11 11:04:19 CST 2010

2010/2/11 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>

> On 11 February 2010 15:38, Darren Dale <dsdale24@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/2/11 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>:
> >>
> >> I'm going with the element of least surprise: no one will be surprised
> >> when 1.5 is released with ABI changes
> >
> > I'll buy you a doughnut if that turns out to be correct.
>
> Now I wish I said "few people" instead :)
>
> As I read the discussion, I realised that not many people (including
> developers) were aware of the versioning policy. Since we did not
> follow the policy in the past, there is no precedent (hence, little
> surprise).

How do precedents get established?

> If we make enough noise (release notes, notification on sourceforge,
> post on list, message in installer, etc.) upon releasing "1.5", that
> should be ample warning, and it may also be a good trial run for numpy
> 2.0.

The major version number is unrelated to features, it is an ABI marker, not
a feature marker. If one so much as breathes on the ABI, the major version
number needs to change.

Another suggestion could be to go the Mayavi2 route, with numpy2 being
> the completely redesigned library.  Whether that is sane, I don't
> know.

Either way, I am quite happy to follow the lead of the release manager
> for 1.3.9/1.4.1/2.0.

Chuck