Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Thu Feb 11 18:10:29 CST 2010

to, 2010-02-11 kello 16:38 -0600, Travis Oliphant kirjoitti:
[clip]
> Pauli, David, and Stephan, how opposed are you to numbering the next
> release as NumPy 2.0 with no experimental tag or the like.   If you
> three could also agree.   I could see my way through to supporting a
> NumPy 2.0 release.    I would ask for the following:

Not very opposed -- if 2.0 seems better, then let's just pick it. It's a
nice color, too ;)

> 1) I would like the release to come out in about 3-4 weeks
> 2) I would like the release to contain all the ABI changes we think we
> will need until NumPy 3.0 when something like David's ideas are
> implemented which would need to be no sooner than 1 year from now.
> 3) The following changes to the ABI (no promise that I might not ask
> for more before the release date):
>
> * change the ABI indicator
> * put the DATETIME dtypes back in their original place in the list
> * move the *cast functions to the end of the ArrFuncs structure
> * place 2-3 place-holders in that ArrFuncs structure
> * fix the hasobject data-type

Sounds like a good plan.

> Any other simple ABI changes that should be made?

None that I can think of.

I'll pull out soon the extra fields added to the end of descr/ndarray
structs for PEP 3118 currently in SVN, since they are actually not
really needed for the implementation.

Best,
Pauli