Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Thu Feb 11 18:17:17 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jus to make sure I understand:
> * 2.0 will be w/ datetime support and corresponds to the current trunk
> * 1.5 will be w/o datetime support ?

I may have misunderstood, but my understanding is that there will be
no 1.5 release under the current proposal.  The next release will be
2.0 and will come out in 3-4 weeks time.  2.0 will basically be 1.4.0
with at least the ABI changes Travis outlined.  If 2.0 is coming out
in 3-4 weeks time we will need to be careful about how aggressive we
are in terms of doing any more than 1.4 + ABI changes.

Once the general plan is agreed upon, which seems to be the direction
that things are headed, then we will need to decide whether we should
just work on the trunk or use the 1.4 branch with possibly a few
things backported from the branch.  I am happy to simply back whatever
strategy David Cournapeau thinks is best.

Personally, I would love to see Pauli's work toward supporting Py3k
make it in to the NumPy 2.0 release and I believe that Pauli thinks
that is reasonable to do in a 3-4 week timeframe.  I don't think we
should even try to provide binaries for Py3k during this release,
though.  I would also like to mark the numarray and numeric support as
deprecated and planned for removal in NumPy 3.0.  Just marking it
deprecated shouldn't cause any problems and should give anyone left
using the old interfaces plenty of time to migrate prior to a future
3.0 release.

--
Jarrod Millman
Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute