[Numpy-discussion] Unpleasant behavior with poly1d and numpy scalar multiplication

Sat Feb 13 21:32:12 CST 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> One minor suggestion:  I think it would be useful to have the new
> >> polys have some form of pretty-printing like the old ones.  It is
> >> actually useful when working, to verify what one has at hand, to see
> >> an expanded printout like the old ones do:
> >>

> > I thought about that, but decided it was best left to a derived class,
> say
> > PrettyPoly ;) Overriding __repr__ and __str__ is an example where
> > inheritance makes sense.
>
> I disagree, I think one of the advantages of having both str and repr
> is precisely to make it easy to have both a terse,
> implementation-oriented representation and a more human-friendly one

Note that ipython calls __repr__ to print the output. __repr__ is supposed
to provide a string that can be used to recreate the object, a pretty
printed version of __repr__ doesn't provide that. Also, an array or list of
polynomials, having pretty printed entries looks pretty ugly with the
newlines and all -- try it with Poly1d. I was also thinking that someone
might want to provide a better display at some point, drawing on a canvas,
for instance. And what happens when the degree gets up over 100, which is
quite reasonable with the Cheybshev polynomials?

> out of the box.  I don't like using 'training wheels' classes, people
> tend to learn one thing and use it for a long time, so I think objects
> should be as fully usable as possible from the get-go.  I suspect I
> wouldn't use/teach a PrettyPoly if it existed.

I thought the pretty print in the original was intended as a teaching aid,
but I didn't think it was a good interface for programming work. That said,
I could add a pretty print option, or a pretty print function. I would be
happy to provide another method that ipython could look for and call for
pretty printing if that seems reasonable to you.

> But it's ultimately your call.  In any case, many thanks for the code!

Chuck